8.04.2011

No. 6

REI's Amazing Return Policy!

A few weeks ago I stayed with the cutest dog while her family was in Europe... well, for as cute as she was she was also a tad bit naughty. Not bad naughty, just puppy naughty. Anyhow, one day I noticed that my one Chaco was not with the other Chaco and when the lost Chaco was found it suddenly didn't look like its mate. The webbing now had the loving teeth marks of Penny the dog. Needless to say I was pretty bummed about it. I love my Chacos! They have been almost everywhere in the world I've ever been and pretty much like a faithful old friend. But then I remembered, my parents got them for me at REI; REI has pretty much the most amazing return policy ever. I have never personally used it before, but I have heard stories of turning in worn out and broken [well loved] outdoor goods for new ones.

So today I set out to try this amazing return policy for myself. I must admit I was a tiny bit nervous. I didn't know how it worked. Would I be questioned? Would I have the right answers? How in the world are they going to exchange my dog eaten shoes for new ones? Maybe I would just have to get the one shoe repaired and then they would never be the same? I didn't know what to expect. I didn't have a receipt, I had no proof that they were purchased there, I didn't even have the box. But I went right up to the customer service desk and said, a dog ate my Chacos and I heard I can return them. The kind man said sure, no problem. That was it! No questions asked, no rude or judgemental looks. Just a nice, helpful man and a new pair of Chacos for me.

I almost got emotional when he took my Chacos away. I traveled through Israel and Egypt in those shoes. Walked around Italy and Estonia in them too. And planned to have them for ever trip thereafter...

But instead of being sad that they are gone I am so very thankful to have a new pair on the way that will go on my next adventure with me! (and every one thereafter)

No comments: