9.10.2011

No. 16

Glimmers of Hope

[warning: this entry will have full disclosure... may be more than you want to know]

It feels like Fall all the sudden! Which shouldn't really be surprising since it is past Labor Day and all my white pants are put away. But in the south it seems like Labor Day is usually more of a pump fake then a true farewell to Summer. This year it feels totally different. It seems there has been a clear marking in time. One season is over a new season is underway...

[why is it so hard for me to go onto my next thought here?]

I was taking a walk this morning thinking about this summer and how I wanted to be thankful for it even though it didn't end how I had hoped it would. The question in my heart was, How can I be thankful for something that was not the happy ending I thought for sure it would be?

It was a magical summer, that is for sure and there is one aspect that must be shared. It is, of course, the hardest one for me to get out. I went out with a boy. A boy I really, really liked. I met him in the early spring and the night I met him fell hard for. He was like no one I had ever met before! So handsome, tall, brilliant, charming, smart, successful, here in Atlanta and we seemed to just get one another. But it was a very slow going... he wrote to me (oh, how romantic!) then I heard nothing for a month. Then in May things picked up again slowly and by June we were talking and hanging out. It was like a dream come true! We danced the night away on my birthday-- never would I have imagined a more perfect birthday celebration, surrounded by all my friends and dancing with the most handsome man at he party! He took me on some fun dates, it was amazing! But then he dashed off into his exciting life of travel... I got a postcard and missed him a whole lot. We had one last date when he got back and that was the last I heard of him... and the end of the fairy tale.

To be honest my joy was dashed for a bit and my heart, while not broken, was hurting. It is never fun to have something so fun taken away. But I continually think about what a dear friend of mine always says to me, "God gives us glimmers of hope sometimes to remind us He loves us and wants to satisfy the desires of my hearts." So the answer to my question is I can be thankful for much! It was a fun summer. I was reminded how much fun dating can be. I got to go out on fun dates, with a very handsome, sweet guy. My heart was awakened with a little glimmer of hope.

It seems only fitting that this year Labor Day is a fine farewell to Summer. This summer deserved a proper bon vonage. It was a great summer! I think the Lord knew I needed it and I am so thankful for it!

Praise the Lord oh my soul and let all that is within me praise His name!

No comments: