7.28.2011

No. 1

Homemade Peach Pie.

As I was cutting up a peach this morning and thinking about this thankfulness challenge I was about to embark on, wondering how I was going to do it, I thought of my grandmother's homemade peach pie. She usually only makes it once or twice during the summer and boy, oh boy is it delicious! Grandma stopped making homemade pie crust years ago. She says she lost her touch for it when she started getting old. The same thing happened to her mother she always says. So now my mother makes the pie crust for Grandma's pies. I imagine one day my mom may lose the touch and I will take on the roll of crust maker. I've been slowing working on mastering my pie crust making skills. It really is an art and my does my mom have it down!

Grandma still cuts up all the fresh peaches and tenderly molds the crust into the pie dish. My mouth waters at the very thought of the one she made this year for the fourth of July! Usually I can resist dessert but I just can't say no to this treat! I think it is 1) it is delicious and a real treat but 2) I know how much care and work it takes for her to make it. It is truly a masterpiece of summer delightfulness!

I am thankful for homemade peach pie, a grandmother who lovingly creates one every summer, and the blessing of having a grandmother and mother who have taught me the joy of cooking!

No comments: