3.20.2009

Life is like a Brownie Sundae

Okay folks, I know this sounds a bit wacky, but stay with me! I think you'll enjoy the illustration.

[And wasn't it Forest Gump who said, "life is like a box of chocolates." ]

I was going out with this guy a few months ago and I have to say it was one of the most fun relationships I have ever had. Nothing too complicated to work through, nothing too serious about our time together... it was just clean fun. SO, I was at church one Sunday morning (while in above relationship) and while we were singing song "Blessed be Your Name" I realized my life is really good. [some of you are assuming I am thinking this because I am in said relationship, but you know what they say about assuming...]


Then I had this image of a brownie sundae pop in my head. [Strange, right?]


As I started to think about it I realized this is a really good illustration for life-- if you're willing to stretch your imagination just a bit.

The Brownie on the bottom is the foundation of the sundae. It is what makes the brownie sundae different from other sundaes. For me Christ is my foundation and He is what makes my life different from other's. Without Him I would just be a boring old ice cream sundae and really what is the fun in that?

The ice cream is my life. It is my community, my family and my friends. It is good. I don't need it, but it sure makes the brownie taste even sweeter.

Then there is the whipped cream--Yummy! I like to think of this as the fun stuff in life. Trips, special occasions, new adventures... Sometimes you get a lot and sometimes you get a little but no matter how much you get you enjoy it. It too makes the brownie taste even sweeter.

Lastly, there is the cherry (and/or the sprinkles on top). A brownie sundae would still be considered a brownie sundae without these two things, but they are a fun addition! A brownie sundae is no less sweet without it. But it is a special treat to have that cherry on top. For me relationships are like the cherry on top. They're a special treat, but life is no less sweet without them.

So what I realized that day is life is good because God is my solid foundation. All the other things can melt away but He stands firm forever. "Taste and see that the Lord is good!"

1 comment:

Whitney- said...

I just love this comparison. So very true!!!