3.03.2009

Back to Work

Today I was oh, so thankful to be going to work.


Last week I was in the bed sick and tired. I think I had the flu. It really didn't surprise me when I ended up sick. Five days with three little ones (in the cold) and they all were stuffed up... I saw it coming. [or I should say felt it coming] Only I didn't really do anything to ward it off. Silly me!


But forget about being sick, it is no fun and certainly no fun to talk about.


I think having two weeks away from work made me realize I really do love what I do. I am very thankful God has blessed me with a job that is fun and creative and often challenging. I work with one of my dearest friends and I have to admit that adds a lot to my working days. We generally have a blast while doing our job and long hours don't seem so long when you're working alongside a friend.

And we do put in some long hours and work hard, even though we have fun together...


Being a mom for five days I definitely put in long hours and the work never really stopped. Even while I was sleeping I had to be aware I could be called up at any moment. And forget about weekends, those hold little allure. It was challenging, there is NO denying that. But it was such a different kind of challenging work. I described it to a friend like this: When I played tennis growing up I had my muscles trained to work a certain way and I used the same muscles every time I picked up my racket. But when I went to play something else (like foosball for instance) I used those muscles trained to swing a tennis racket differently or even sometimes muscles I didn't use playing tennis. And let me tell you I would be sore the next day. It was always funny to me how sore I would be the next day, I couldn't understand it. I still was strong from playing tennis but that strength really didn't prepared me for playing foosball.

Are you wondering how I am going to relate this two topics?? [I'm a tad bit worried too.]

Working as an interior designer isn't really preparing me to be a mom. Just like playing tennis didn't really prepare me to play foosball. I am used to working hard, I like to work hard but man, I am not used to the hard work of being a mother of three little children. It is a LOT of work and it never stops. Right now I have a job that I get up and go to in the morning and leave in the evening. When you are a mom you don't stop being a mom, it is constant.

I learned a few things, while I was building up new muscles, working as a mom:

1. I don't want to stop being creative and having fun when I become a mom-- they are just a part of who I am.

2. My dream job (being a wife and mother) might just be the most challenging job on this earth-- I have my work cut out for me one day.

3. I think I'll marry someone I consider a friend just as much as a lover (excuse the cheesy term, I don't know what else to say) it will make the long hours and challenges so much more enjoyable-- and I'm thinking as parents you need that.

4. It will probably take me a long while to get my "mom muscles" strong and trained-- but that is ok, strength training takes time.

And for right now I am thankful to go to work in the morning and leave at the end of the day.

No comments: